Friday 1 April 2011

BST ...................

........ Baltasound Shivering Time !

  Well two days after the clocks went forward, we were having sleet/snow showers here on Unst. Within the space of 24 hours the wind direction went almost full circle and has now seemed have settled in a south easterly direction - bring on the migrants !

  After missing the Bearded Seal last Friday morning, I had hoped that it may come back (the one on Yell did for several months) For several days, I drove around past the slipway each time I headed along the shore road or if I was heading to the north, sadly to no avail. On one occasion I did come across a very obliging immature Shag that was drying itself on the breakwater........


  Returning home a little later, I took a short walk down to the shore to scan the coast opposite - in the slim hope that the seal had hauled out somewhere else (which it hadn't) I was startled by a Grey Heron that had been standing in the water down by the jetty which I hadn't seen. I'm always amazed how quick their reaction is, almost as though they are rocket propelled as they leap skyward. All I managed was a couple of shots as it flew off...........


  Yesterday (31st March) as I was driving the girls to crèche, I saw a small bird on a fence post just along the road from the house. As I got nearer, I was really pleased to see that it was a cracking male Wheatear - yes, spring has arrived ! I had arranged to meet Brydon about some work around mid-morning. As the time approached, I got a call; there was a male King Eider in Bluemull Sound showing well from the ferry. If I left straight away, I could catch the 11.20 ferry, enough said. Fifteen minutes later I was on the ferry and heading off from Belmont. Sure enough there it was, a male (probably the Uyeasound one) quite close to the boat. As we passed, the boat slowed for those interested, to get a good look. I managed some shots but it was nice to see as we were even closer than at Uyeasound the other week............


  This morning (1st April), after a cracking sunrise  ('red sky in the morning, shepherds warning' and all that stufff is true, it rained later) I did some more painting in the cottage - almost there - and then called over to a mate of mine for a while. On telling him about the eider, he jumped at the suggestion of going over on the ferry to take a look (fortunately the ferry is free) We missed the bird on the way out, but on the return had good views - also of it in flight....................

.......almost, but not quite there :(

  Returning home, we had some people coming to lunch who we'd never met or didn't even know - I won't bother to explain. While sitting having our meal, I was looking out at the wild rose bushes in the garden not far from the living room window, when something caught my eye. There was definitely a small bird moving around in there but I couldn't catch up with it with the bino's. Finally later on, I saw it again and confirmed it to be a Chiffchaff, the first for spring for Unst.

                      Robbie

No comments: