Saturday 11 June 2011

  It's been a busy few days again with two of my relations going and then two friends arriving for a week. I've been doing some work in the house (plumbing) which has taken a lot longer than it should have, ie non-standard fittings that had previously been installed. I also wanted to get on top of a problem with leaking out-buildings; again, where the job had not been done properly in the first place. I've managed to fix part of it temporarily until I get get some sand and cement delivered up here.

  Last Monday (6th June) Rona had one of the schools 'occasional' days off - the occasional bit does seem to be quite often though ! So, due to Rona being at home, my friends Graham and Sue, went off on their own for the day while I stayed around the house etc. I set the 'trail cam' up again, and this time I inadvertently set it to the still pictures setting, I got a couple of shots of the otter again, this time during the late evening light.....................


  Obviously with using a remotely operated  camera, I have no control over where the subject is placed in the frame etc, but I do find it interesting to discover what time of day or night the animal is around. There are quite a few false triggers and also a few that are caused by a rabbit running across the field of view.......................


  Last Tuesday (7th June), I spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon with Graham and Sue up at Hermaness. The forecast was supposed to be ok, but on the way up at around 10am I thought hat the Met Office had got it wrong. It was grey and miserable with occasional drizzle, I thought about going back down but then thought that maybe it was just the timing of the weather that was wrong. By the time we reached the cliffs, the cloud was starting to show signs of clearing and in the end it was a quite pleasant day - although a tad cool. The light was quite bright so I was underexposing quite a lot to try and not blow the whites in the Puffins and Gannets, but on this occasion I didn't get it quite right. Anyway, here are a few from that visit............

----- the wrong place at the wrong time !
Bathing Bonxie

  Sadly I didn't get as much time out and about with Graham and Sue this week (apart from a late night dram or two) but one evening we did go up to Saxavord hill to see the sun go down over Muckle Flugga lighthouse. Despite having most of the gear suitable for doing landscapes etc, I seldom do this type of photography seriously apart from a few 'point and shoot' or grab shots as I'm driving around. However, on this occasion I will remember the evening as, despite it being the end of the first week of June, I was wishing I had my gloves on !......................

Bonxie flypast

Muckle Flugga

                Robbie

No comments: